John Horton Conway

Oh dear. I was really hoping to meet him one day, ...


At 5 minutes 33 seconds he bears out what I wrote here: How To Be A Genius and How To Be A Genius Part II. See Numberphile Playlist of Videos Featuring Conway.

Here's a Guardian piece from July 2015: John Horton Conway: the world’s most charismatic mathematician.
John Horton Conway is a cross between Archimedes, Mick Jagger and Salvador Dalí.
At 7 minutes 50 seconds this is true, in my experience! 😀💓 But just get him a plate of decent grub, and sit him down with a really good video about it, and he might be, ...

My favourite John Conway quote, which I heard in a lecture on the Free Will Theorem in Cambridge in 2007 or thereabouts:
The trouble is, I don't know what a random variable actually is!
The audience were not quite as lively as this lot at Princeton:


Conway knew about this: Ben Eater on Running a Breadboard at 1MHz. I hope he wrote something about it before he died.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stefan Molyneux on Resource Based Economy

Nikola Tesla and the End of The World

Sabine Hossenfelder - Lost in Math