Susan Blackmore on Consciousness


At 2 minutes 20 seconds she talks about the difficulties of looking for neural correlates of consciousness in brains. I wouldn't expect to be able to locate consciousness in a brain either, but it doesn't seem too weird, to me, to look for some set of physical measurements which could accurately predict that a subject is in fact conscious at some time. I would expect them to be measurements of the brain as well as the enteric and autonomic nervous systems, and probably also a significant part of the skin and the contents of the bowels. I don't claim this is a scientific hypothesis though, it is just a "gut feeling" based on personal experience. See On Psychobotanics and Neurology and Nancy Trivellato on Disembodied Consciousness. See also the way Annaka Harris describes a spectrum of consciousness in Annaka Harris on Consciousness.


Something gives me the idea now that Hillary Nicholson has been watching YouTube videos, ... Hey, Hillary, have you got a copy of that weird essay about lambda calculus that I sent to you fifteen or so years ago? That might be a good way of explaining why we shouldn't expect to find universal neural correlates of any specific experience. That's just because it's all joined-up, and we are all each-other's context for interpreting descriptions. Ask Hillary what she is conscious of when she listens to this track. So, if you could contact my daughter, Hillary, she might have a copy of an essay I sent her about what a law of physics really is, ... and then you could maybe make sense of my rambling about abstract language being "everything".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stefan Molyneux on Resource Based Economy

Sabine Hossenfelder - Lost in Math

Nikola Tesla and the End of The World